Women’s Circles – Are They Really My Thing?
Women’s Circles seem to be all the rage at the moment, but we have noticed that some women seem to want to run for the hills when you invite them to attend one!!
We think these might be the same women who say ‘Meditation’s not for me! I’m just no good at it’ or ‘I couldn’t possibly come away on a retreat. How could I justify investing that time and money in myself?’
So we thought it might be wise to clarify exactly what a Woman’s Circle is and what the benefits are of attending one.
We're not sure if there is a single definition but our interpretation is that a Women’s Circle is an intimate gathering, where women learn new ways of speaking, listening and relating to others.
Women circles have been taking place for centuries in many different races and cultures and all around the world. Many were directly tied to menstruation and the moon cycles.
Of course, there are many different flavours of Women’s Circles currently being run - it very much depends on the values and ideology of the person or group that is running the circle. Some may be very spiritual or mystical in nature, some may be themed, for example around the timing of a new or full moon or the menstrual cycle, or others may be run solely for the purpose of bringing women together to achieve connection and wellbeing.
Women’s circles are increasing in popularity and in an age where large numbers of women are suffering from depression, loneliness and anxiety, could be of great benefit in minimalising mental health issues.
Below we have listed 5 Benefits of attending a Women’s Circle:
1) They provide a safe space: Women have a safe space to be vulnerable, they can share both their tears and laughter. In the circle, women can share freely without fear of judgement, in an environment that is safe and supported.
2) Opportunity to form new friendships: The circle process is non-hierarchical. Every participant has the chance to offer their input and everyone’s opinions are considered equal. New friendships often emerge as part of the process.
3) You get an endorphin rush when you are heard: Women are encouraged to share, listen to and learn from every woman present. Science has proven that endorphins are released into our brains when we talk about ourselves!
4) Shared experiences remind us that we are not alone: Sharing your challenges and how you have overcome them can inspire the women in the group and you can similarly learn and gain inspiration from their stories too.
5) Sharing an experience with others creates magic: When women come together to share individual challenges or to set individual intentions there is often a great sense of magic and power created due to the combined energy of everyone present in the group.
We understand that some of you may feel shy and unsure about participating in a group situation and that you may feel a little out of your comfort zone in doing so. But we promise you that the connection, inspiration and shared learning will be worth a small amount of initial discomfort.
At METreat, our women’s circles are relaxed and not too serious. We love bringing women together to share, learn from and support each other. We encourage honesty and vulnerability, should you wish to share – but it’s entirely up to you. The most important thing to us is that you feel relaxed, included, supported and loved and that we can share some laughter and giggles with you along the way.
If this sounds good and you want to give it a try, why don’t you join us at the ‘Taste of METreat’ evening we are hosting on Wednesday 27 February at a private residence in Elwood? We'll be offering a Women's Circle and group meditation, nibbles, drinks and giggles. For more information and to book your ticket please click here.